Before we start discussing the Facebook Instant Articles, we should first start with the Social Media. We should mention that Social Media is an integral part of the online marketing strategies. According to some research, nearly every adult in the U.S has a social media profile with a majority of Facebook accounts. Facebook is a famous social hub which may generate a lot of user traffic. Facebook Instant Articles is the newest addition to Facebook which promises a massive impact on the future of the online marketing. It is a feature which merely allows an entire post on your website to be displayed on a mobile app on Facebook.
How do Facebook Instant Articles work?
This kind of display of articles allows publishers to post their original work on Facebook with last loading times. Instant Articles are instant indeed. They load at least ten times faster than the ordinary ones. Articles can be identified instantly with the “lightning bolt” sign. Users are less likely to ignore or abandon these articles, because of their instant access.
Facebook Instant Articles usually deliver a rich interface with rich videos, images, as well as map 3D views, which appeal to the consumers of the online content. Social media marketing is meant to generate revenue, and although publishers cannot make money directly by using Facebook, Facebook Instant Articles allows them to insert some ads through the Facebook advertising platform which is named Facebook Audience Network within the content, and get paid for them.
The users of Facebook share Instant Articles more than they share the ordinary web articles. This is an advantage for the owners of websites. One of the significant limitations of Facebook Instant Articles is that it does not show the total share count within an article itself, besides limiting the sharing options to the social media like Facebook and Twitter, but only tools such as Google Analytics, which allows you to track visitor counts and traffic as well. The social media Facebook has a lot of users, and from the perspective of marketing, this is an ideal strategy to generate revenue through an audience network.
How AdSense works?
This program works merely by matching display ads and texts to your website, which are based on many visitors, as well as on your content. The amount of money earned on AdSense varies. This is because the advertisers usually pay different prices which depend on the ad. Typically, website owners make ad spaces available on their websites by posting an ad code, as well as by choosing where the ad will appear.
AdSense also allows users to show engaging, as well as relevant ads to the visitors on their site. The good thing is that these ads can be customized to a look and feel that is both appealing, as well as one that will match with the website design. This program delivers ads to the website of the user. Then Google pays the user for any advertisement displayed on your site depending on the type of the ad, as well as the number of users’ clicks on the ads. AdSense also allows users to have some automatic, as well as instant access to a massive source of potential advertisers meaning that there is a completion for available ad spaces, and you will have a variety of relevant ads for your website.
AdSense will also automatically serve ads which are targeted specifically to your audience or content, which means that you will not have to choose the types of ads which are shown on your website. The platform also gives the ability to see the ads that are up and that are running on your site. Another thing which is important to note the polices of AdSense do not permit the owners of websites to click on their ads for whatever reason.
In case an ad that you don’t like appears on your site, AdSense will allow you to review and block those individual ads through the “Allow and Block Ads” tab, which you can find in your AdSense account. There is also another advantage of AdSense – it is free to use. In fact, Google will pay you for users’ clicks and impressions, or for any Google ad interaction which is displayed on your website. All you will have to do is submit an application which will be reviewed, and they will give you feedback by sending you an email.
Facebook Instant Articles vs. AdSense
Both of these programs have their pros and cons, and both of them can also be used efficiently, to achieve a particular result. A wise online marketer will use both the Facebook Instant Articles and AdSense to complement each other for maximum results.
The million dollar question! Well, in some ways, we think that optimizing for Facebook Instant Articles could affect the website SEO of every publisher, ultimately for the better. And here is how:
1. The publisher will have to publish more content.
Any publisher, whether it is a media outlet, business or some individual will have to get more serious about publishing more content. The approach for one post every month will no longer fly if you want to get serious about Instant Articles.
So, this is a positive effect on SEO.
2. Publishers will have to get more serious about the content formatting.
Those publishers that were not paying particular attention to the specific formatting elements in the articles they post will start to if they plan on getting into Instant Articles. Facebook will also look for headers (H1 for the title and H2 for the subtitles), image and video, as well as captions, author attribution and some related article links for the Instant Articles.
All of these above mentioned are beneficial for SEO. You just need to make sure to keyword optimize article titles, subtitles, and captions.
By giving proper credit, you will have the ability to potentially gain some organic search traffic when people are searching for those authors by name.
3. Publishers will start experimenting with different media.
Besides the boost in performance, one of the major highlights of Instant Articles is the ability of the publishers to create some rich media experiences with content. Facebook is supporting images, video, animated GIFs, audio annotations, interactive images, maps, and slideshows.
Considerably, this will warm publisher up to the idea that creating more diverse content for their audience. In such way, publishers can expand their reach by distributing different media to networks which are based on the type of the media.
The prime targets could be Imgur, Flickr, YouTube, Vimeo, SlideShare, iTunes, Soundcloud, and a lot of others, most of which will allow you to go back to the original article as the source of the media. In that way, you will gain additional SEO value.
4. Publishers will also have to clean up their code.
To ensure that Facebook Instant Articles work, either in their template of the website of their RSS feed, additionally, publishers will have to clean a good bit of their coding. Cleaning their code will make it easier for them to search engine crawlers to do their jobs.
Honestly, if HTML coding did not matter to Google, then they wouldn’t have provided a free HTML improvements tool inside their Search Console.
5. Every person will have to improve their mobile performance.
Besides Facebook Instant Articles and Google AMP, every website and not just publishers will have to improve their mobile performance. But why? Because, it is simply the nature of humans and it goes like this:
People will start adapting to the mobile-friendly, high-performance of Facebook Instant Articles.
After that, they will expect every website they load on their smartphones to have the same mobile-friendliness and high-performance as well. This will be particularly true for sites which are linked to within Facebook Instant Articles.
But, if they don’t open to a mobile-friendly experience at high-performance, you can be sure that this spoiled audience will leave.
Those websites that optimize for mobile friendliness and high performance will be better in search ranking, as Google wants to search for users who have great experiences on the sites that they click upon in the search results. It is evident that those websites that are mobile friendly will rank a good place in mobile search.
Google usually prefers responsive design, so in the mobile-friendly efforts, you should steer towards that. You can also use the free mobile usability tool of Google in Search Console, to see if the website has some mobile issues which could affect the mobile search rankings.
Before we start diving into the tech specs, we are going to present you a few things which you should know as a publisher:
- In Instant Articles, you can sell ad space to Facebook advertisers, for monetization purposes. Or sell ad space privately through the networks you have on your own.
- Facebook is not planning to give the publishers the possibility of using Instant Articles preferential treatment in the news feed.
- For Instant Articles, Facebook will also give analytics insights into reader engagement. You can share the data with third-party tools such as Google Analytics.
- Facebook has developed an official plugin that Word Press users can use, to get their sites Instant Article ready.
- You will not have to create some different content for this program. Facebook can just use your RSS feed and HTML markup, to convert your previously existing content into Instant Articles.
The publishers will also have to create or update their RSS feeds, to meet Facebook Instant Article guidelines.
Once the publisher updates the RSS feed, Facebook will have to approve the publisher, just by checking their latest five articles, to ensure they are ready for Instant Article.
But, in a situation when their articles are not approved, they will have to do the suggested changes, before they submit once again.
Facebook Instant Articles is something similar to Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages). It allows publishers to share their links to their original articles to their website. When the users of the Facebook mobile app click on the link, they are immediately taken at the Instant Article version of the content. And for desktop users, when they click the link, they will be taken to the original article on the website of the publisher.
And, this is the difference. First, you will have a standard click on the Facebook app to an article on a mobile-friendly website. And now, you will have a click on the Facebook app to an Instant Article.
This is a pretty significant difference when it comes to performance. Even when the website is mobile-friendly, as well as fully responsive and has excellent load times, Instant Articles will still win.
Here, we are going to present you a few other things that you should know about the functionality of Instant Articles for users.
- Those that are desktop users and click on the same post link are taken to the original article on the website of the publisher.
- When people share the Instant Article from the Facebook app, the link to the original article which is on the website of the publisher will be shared. The users of the mobile app, who click on that link, will be taken to the Instant Article, while the desktop users will be taken to the original article from the website of the publisher.
All of us have our favorite go-to business tools, whether it is an app to save us time or just our favorite social media platform. Pinterest is one of the tools which is really overlooked. It is essentially an electronic pinboard, where you set up categories and save interesting online articles, images and so on. It is overlooked because we think of it as a visual platform for recipes, home improvements, crafting and so on.
However, you can find Pinterest as really effective in attracting great clients. A couple of months ago, we have done some research on Pinterest. We found out that there are over 150 million active Pinterest users, 2 million Pinterest users save shopping pins on boards daily and more than 14 million articles are pinned each day. Recently, we have also noticed that Pinterest is now advertising on TV — which all goes to show that there is a demand for ‘pinning’.
Pinterest is a great way for driving traffic back to your website.
Why I love Pinterest:
- Because it is free;
- It is fun;
- It is quick = less hours spent on social media;
- Posts can also go viral quickly (great images and titles are a key part in that);
- It also boosts the online visibility;
- It can help you in attracting dreamie clients.
Specifically, you can use the Pinterest tool for the following:
- Showcase your expertise and authority to a huge group of your ideal clients:
- Share your content which educates, informs and inspires your tribe;
- Be seen as an expert or as a go-to person.
- Attract more of your ideal clients:
- You should build your know, like and trust factor;
- Build your ‘voice’;
- Spread the word in a much quicker way;
- Build and showcase your brand.
- Boost your beautiful tribe and get a lot more people who will soak your content:
- Invite people to join your new tribe.
Here, we are going to present you the 3 steps to use Pinterest for business and attract more clients.
1. Set up a board, specifically focused on your area of expertise.
I started out with a board for Coaching, where I saved a lot of different quotes, infographics, and links to coaching topics online. We could be a lot more specific and break this down into several boards. For example relationship coaching, teen coaching, stress coaching, self – esteem coaching and even more. You can also check out the Coaching tools company boards on Pinterest for some more inspiration.
As the business grows, you can create business specific boards for people to view your blog posts. Some other ideas also include boards for guest interviews, as well as inspiring quotes, links to Facebook, some other social media, video, audio and so on, the list goes on.
If you are just starting out with Pinterest, you should try the following:
- You should create one board for your business (share some of your content). It does not have to be salesy, but it can be as simple as sharing a few blog posts in order to drive traffic back to your site;
- Create one board designed to help your dreamie clients with problems and goals that they have (also share useful and relevant sources);
- Create one board just for fun (let the people get to know you a bit more, what you like, as we all want to learn more about the people we are going to work with).
2. Set up one group board.
A group board is actually where you invite people to collaborate. It is a good way for connecting with each other. Another great way in using group boards was for her group coaching programs when she was sharing specific boards in order to help her clients.
If you are just starting out, you should try this:
- You should create a group board. For example on favorite self-development books, quotes and also invite people to pin their favorites too.
3. Follow, explore, start pinning and sharing.
Follow people which you find interesting. Also, search some specific topics that you are interested in. Add pins to your boards and grow them, so they become a resource for your followers.
As you learn Pinterest, you will begin to create some useful resources and links to your website, blog posts, videos and links to your freebies and so on.
Tip #1: It is a visual platform, so you should use images and titles for your content that attracts attention and interest so the people will want to click through.
Tip #2: You should always keep in mind who your ideal clients are, as well as how you can help them. In that way, everything you share on your business-focused boards will be on point, and help you build your credibility.
7 ways to get new followers for your Pinterest account:
- Create a blog post about your new Pinterest account.
- Also, create a post on your social media platform with the link to your account. Invite to follow you, for example: ‘I just created a Pinterest account, come and follow me.’
- You can share your Pinterest profile link to Skype profile, or some other social media profiles and descriptions, such as Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter and so on.
- You can add your Pinterest profile link to your email signature.
- Send a note out in your newsletter.
- Share the link in groups in which you take part.
- Send an email to people that you know.
Pinterest is like any other social media — it is about being consistent, showing up, sharing useful content, as well as following other people and profiles. All these same principles apply to Pinterest as well.
I hope that some of these tips have been useful in giving you ideas of using the Pinterest tool for your business.